What you need:
Makes 6 servings
- 4 strips of bacon, diced
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna packed in spring water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
How you do it:
- In a large kettle, cook 4 diced strips of bacon until crisp. Ad chopped onion, chopped celery
and chopped bell pepper. Cook until tender. Drain.
- Drain tuna, reserving the liquid.
- Add water to the reserved liquid to make 1 cup.
- Stir into the bacon mixture.
- Add whole tomatoes, frozen okra, chopped parsley, rice, bay leaf, chicken base or bouillon and
Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 25
minutes. Remove the bay lead and stir in the tuna.